View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM
head in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclyn72 View Post
I plan on leaving here in about 3 years. Some of the research I have done in regards to when we do go home. My cats and dog will have to go ahead of me (8 days) to Beijing or Shanghai to a "quarantine" facility. There they will get the final paperwork to get on the plane for Canada. From what I have read -correct me if I'm wrong, they have no quarantine in Canada as long as the paperwork is correct. I'm anticipating nightmares about that whole going home ordeal -a hostage situation-seriously! Them (this countries government officials) saying you need this this and this or your cat/dog has this this and this-give me more money or you can't have your animals back. So the only thing I can do is keep them healthy and arm myself with as much info as possible but that may not even help in the end. Cuz I will just pay the money. It is incredibly Alot of foreigners who come here are maybe only here short term so they don't take on the commitment of owning an animal. And to be honest if I had known how difficult it would be owning a pet here I don't think I would have done this. But now they are part of my family and my responsibility. Some of them come here, get an animal and then just dispose of it when they leave the city or China. There are a few expat websites but the animals forums are pretty slim or they are talking about Beijing or Shanghai regulations or whatever. Regulations vary alot depending on who you are talking to here. And it comes down to the dollar. Sorry to be so cynical but I have had and heard too many bad experiences when it comes to foreigners and their pets. ChinaKitten -solve your cats problems by yourself whenever you can. Import medicines if necessary, and go to the vet as little as possible.Consult with a vet back home if you can also.
the best thing to do is contact the airline your flying with I dont know if China is part of the pets scheme but Canada is meaning if you fly air canada there is no quarantine from specific countries...
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV