View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM

maybe this will help

Hello!
I am also living in China. I have been here for going on 6 years and have acquired 4 cats and 1 dog-all rescues from the streets here in China. I saw your post on the pets.ca website and perhaps can help with some of my experiences -actually nightmares in dealing with these "vets".Being here, I have also had to learn ALOT about cats and dogs. Luckily haven't had too much trouble as far as their health. Knock on wood. I have kept their vaccinations to a minimum (they will all be coming back home with me to Canada when I do leave here) so I unfortunately have to keep their rabies shots up to date. Didn't want to do this to my cats as they are strictly indoor but I have to. The dog I also rabies vaccinate in case she got away from me or something-but she is never off her leash except for her occasional "houdini- yes I can escape from a leash when I am really freaked out". Although I really wish I didn't have to do it every year but in China the law says it must be done yearly. Anyway, I totally understand your concern in whether or not to let one of these vets fix your cat. I got almost all of my animals when I was living in Fujian province-near Shenzhen.We then all took the train up here to Shandong last summer. The first vet was terrible and totally botched all of my females operations. They all had to get redone. They went into heats 6 months to 1 year later after their first "operation". When this happened I got back on the internet and did more reading. You could double check the following info. When animals don't get fixed, yes it possibly increases their chances of certain diseases but they could also get another very very serious disease called Pyrometa? not sure of the spelling. This could be a deadly disease if not caught in time. My dog had her first botched operation and then 1.5 years later she got very very sick because of this "Pyrometa" I then had to get her fixed again. I love my animals very much and didn't want to put them thru the operations again but I didn't like what could happen in the future with their health. If I was back in Canada I would have better access to homeopathic/alternative type medicines which I agree with more than chemical medicines. I have solved their earmite problems naturally, am working on ridding them of worms naturally, my dog is on a raw food diet which I love preparing for her. When the cats were babies they were also on the raw diet but now they eat the Friskies crap. Except for these spaying/neutering operations I have found ways to treat the occasional problems naturally. Have you noticed how some of the products or medicines in the pet stores here look like they fell off the back of a truck? Yeah, I wanna buy that. Send me an email if you want, I got some more info I could share with you. I just found a great website that ships to China and they sell parasite/worm tinctures. I will be getting my second order from this company and half of it is herbs/ homeopathic stuff for the animals.
Carolyn McIntosh