View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Question What would you do?

I've posted a few times about my cat and her diagnosis of calcium oxalate kidney stones. I've just got off the phone with yet another vet and he says that there is absolutely no way that Misti will be able to pass the stones at all.

He says that they would have to be surgically removed, however he knows of no vet that will perform the surgery. Further to that he (and other vets) have told me that surgery can lead to major tissue damage and could possibly 'put the kidneys over the top' He also says that she can live quite well with them as long as they don't begin to move.

I feel really sad at the thought that my girl might have to endure such pain if they do move so regardless I am still looking into finding someone in Ontario that will either perform surgery or lithotripsy.

So here comes the big question:

If the risks for surgery were great, i.e. kidney failure, would you go ahead and have surgery done? Or would you try to do your best with alternative medicines to help control the stones? If you were in my shoes what would you do???