View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Horse shot in self defence ???

Horse shot by man who said he acted in self defence

By Jennifer Hamilton-McCharles NORTH BAY NUGGET

Updated 3 days ago

CHISHOLM— Jullia Pearce is heartbroken after one of her family's horses was shot and killed by a man who says he acted in self defence.

Pearce said they were unaware their horses had escaped until Ontario Provincial Police knocked on their door Wednesday night. The horse is owned by Pearce's parents Marian and Edgar Pearce who live on Golf Course Road in Chisholm.

"They told us one of our horses had been shot," she said.

"Several of us went over to see what had happened and we were shocked."

Pearce said Chance, a three-year-old part Clydesdale and part quarter-horse, was laying on the ground about 100 metres from the home of Kevin Bruneau.

"It was a tough night. We're still in a feeling of disbelief. It's unbelievable that someone would get a gun out instead of making a

call," she said.

"Things happen and when animals get out we're more than willing to go

get them and repair whatever things they've damaged."

Bruneau said he feels terrible about what happened and is sorry for the pain he's caused the Pearce family.

He said he was visiting neighbours when he returned home around 6 p.m. to find five horses in his field.

Bruneau said he doesn't like horses and was afraid they would interfere with his deer hunt.

"I tried starting up my Jeep to scare them away, but it wasn't working. Then I tried yelling. I had no idea where they came from," Bruneau said.

He said he then went into his home to get his rifle.

"I fired a shot into the ground and they started to walk away. When I fired the second shot they started running, except one turned and swung around and started coming for me," Bruneau said.

"The horse was 10 yards away and I was genuinely scared it would kill me or hurt me, so I shot directly at him," he said.

Two more shots later Chance died.

Bruneau said he then called police.

"I feel really bad this happened. I didn't want to do this. I love animals, but I was really afraid for my life," he said.

Pearce said Chance has never been an aggressive horse.

"My nieces have been riding him since they were three-years-old. I had to learn to walk again and Chance was so gentle," she said.

"He was a beauty. He was black with white marks and perfectly healthy."

Pearce said the shooting has scared the other four horses.

OPP Sgt. Al Gardiner said whether charges — cruelty to animals or careless or dangerous use of a firearm — will be laid has yet to be determined.

He said police must determine if Bruneau's actions were reasonable.

"He (Bruneau) indicated he wanted to scare the animal off, but one horse charged at him," Gardiner said.

He said there's concern nobody was called prior to the animal being shot.

jhamilton-mccharles@nugget.ca
os