View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:31 AM

Tartar Shield Soft Rawhide Chews

My vet, who practices traditional methods as well as homeopathic methods sent hubby home with Tartar Shield Soft Rawhide Chews which she suggested as beneficial tooth cleaning chews for Peewee (Chihuahua). Of course as soon as I heard "rawhide" my alarm bells went off. It turns out the rawhide is minced, not solid like traditional rawhide chews. Our vet said the Bully Sticks chews aren't very good for tartar control because when the dogs chew on Bully Sticks the end gets all gummy and that gummy stuff sticks to their teeth rather than cleaning the teeth.

http://tartarshield.com/index.asp?cmd=products

The package says, "Tartar Shield Soft Rawhide Chews contain a patented formula clinically proven to clean teeth, reduce bacteria, freshen breath, and prevent plaque and tartar build-up by more than 50%. The soft rawhide is minced, making it gentle on your dog's teeth and gums and easy to chew and digest. The savory bacon flavor is baked all the way through for a delicious taste your dog is sure to love!"

Tartar Shield Soft Rawhide Chews also have the Veterinary Oral Health Council's (VOHC) Seal of Acceptance for Tartar Control.

Ingredients: American beef hide, bacon flavor, Sodium Tripolyphoshate, and Cetyl Pyridinium Chloride.

Anyone using these? Thoughts?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie