View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Cat won't jump - Posted by Zuena

Edited by admin - Techical issue w/post - now solved.
POSTED BY ZUENA

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me.

I have two cats, they are 4 months old and identical. They were abandoned - placed in a box and left in a field - when they were 4 weeks old. I adopted them at 5 weeks.

I had them checked out by a vet at that time and they were found to be neglected but in good health otherwise.

They have since grown into two beautiful, shiny black cats and they are thriving.

The only problem is that the younger one (I only call her younger because she is slightly smaller than her sister) won't jump. She doesn't seem to mind jumping down from something but she never goes up higher than my bed or a chair. She often gets stuck outside at night because she jumps on my chair, then the desk, which is right next to the window, and out... then she sits outside the door crying for me to let her in.

I have tried everything I could think of. I have put wet food on the window sill as a bribe, place a bucket upside down next to the window so she can jump on there and then up on the window sill, I have even lifted her up onto the window sill from outside - nothing works. She doesn't even try. Her sister always ends up gobbling up the bribe treat. When I walk around the garden, her sister is up the trees and on the perimeter wall in a flash - not her.. just just trails behind me.

I have noticed that the nails on her right front paw don't seem to want to retract properly. She is always getting stuck to my duvet or anything that is covered with material.

The only thing that I can think of is that there is some deformity in her legs - but I have noticed nothing. She moves normally and she never cries or seems to be in pain.

I am very concerned as there are massive dogs next door, and if she somehow lands up there and they chase her, she won't be able to get away.

The other question that I have, never having owned a cat before - when is a good age to get them spayed?

Does anyone have a suggestion or some advice please?

Zuena

Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter