View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Cat urinating in dog's basket answered by N. Kitching

Hi Lesli,

Your cat is showing it's affection for your dog by spraying the dog's bed. "I'm here. You're my best friend." Even if you took the bed away, the cat will continue to spray where ever the dog lies.

Where are their beds? Are they side by side? A cat won't spray it's own bed. You could encourage your dog to lie partially on the cat's bed -- depending on it's size.

One way of doing this is to place a treat on the cat's bed so your dog will either sit or lie down on it. The idea being -- the dog will be in the cat's bed. You could even rub the cat and dog's beds together to get the scent transferred.

There are spays on the market which are quite effective that will discourage your cat from spraying. Spray around the dog's bed -- not on it.

Any of the above is worth a try.

© Nancy Kitching 2002

Nancy Kitching
Dog Trainer Member of CAPPT, CKC, OKC (Ottawa Kennel Club),
and Bytown Obedience Club in Ottawa.
156 Fairhaven
Hudson, Quebec J0P 1H0

Tel: 450-458-3165

Our female cat of 2+ has taken to urinating in our dog's basket. The first time I presumed it was an accident but since washing the pillow (part of the basket) she has urinated again, once on the pillow and once on the side of the basket.

She and the dog are great friends and very affectionate to one another. Both pets get an enormous amount of affection from the family. The cat has her own basket which she sleeps in.

She is an indoor cat and has her own litter box, which she does use. The litter is kept clean and we have not changed the brand recently.

Any ideas?