View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
So, when he pees in front of you, what do you do? This happens with one of my cats from time to time and my reaction has always been to bellow loudly, grab him, and put him in the litterbox. Of course, he's finished by then The fact that Ford is a bit skittish is in your favour, your disapproval will make a deeper impression.

Ask the vet to check the ph of his urine. Maybe it burns or something and he has to go immediately, not necessarily an infection but some kind of imbalance? I'm grasping at straws here.

Don't get weepy just yet. You'd be surprised the number of 'intractable' problems we solve on this board...
Well, I've learned not to yell at him...that just makes him hide from us and he becomes more skiddish. We do talk loudly and he knows were upset, but we don't spray or spank him or rub his nose. He's very apt at reading our reactions and emotions. I know they say cats aren't vindictive, but when we used to get really upset and mad...we'd find that he'd poop in the house and pee even more. So, we do our best with showing our disapproval but not too much. Its very hard - hubby now growls at me instead!

When I take him to the vet, he'll likely pee in the box as I transport him (he'll be upset and frightened, as he hates the box) and I'm sure the vet will take a sample to check for infection and the like. I'm crossing my fingers and really appreciate all of your well wishes and support. Will let you know how it turns out.