View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I think you'll make a great meezer mama LR!! Abd you have already had some experience with the ones you cared for so you know you like them!!

This makes me think of my quest for YY - well for a meezer - I was at the time as you recall meezerless (not a happy situation for me). And really, I wanted to adopt a special needs meezer or one who needed help in some way but you know how it is with kitties - they adopt you, it is not the other way around. I went to visit the breeder only because she came highly recommended and had three babies that were available and as the offspring of champs (and all that goes with that), would not be there long. Indeed, YY had been "reserved" since she was determined to be Show Quality and thus the most expensive and exclusive of her sibs (according to the humans - cats might have something else to say tho admittedly, she knew even then she was a Diva!) but something happened in the interim and the person who had wanted her originally (a woman who is well known on the show circuit) had to bow out, not by choice. I went there with the notion of taking a look and gettiing out as quickly as possible, lol But from the moment we set eyes on one another - she blinked at me, I blinked at her and I bent down so I was at her level and talked to her and she motioned with her tiny paws (at 12 wks) to be picked up and I happily did so. She placed her right paw on my face - a sort iof unpsoken mode of communication between us that is one of endearment in her part and she still does it every morning! Her then meomy told me she had never done that before - she was well socialzed and liked people but she was definitely demonstraing her interest in me. I was smitten, love at first sight!! I asked them to give me an evening to think about it (and came back with a fleece blanket I had used in travelling so much that it had my smell in the event I did decided to "adopt" this baby so she would be at least accusstomed to my smell.

I thought it over all night - and it just seemed meant to be. My grandmother appeared in a dream that nite - no words spoken but I took that as an omen. (and pls don't think I am crazy but I have wondered if my grandmother in another life has had something to do with this - rationally, I don't believe that but there is some emotional part of me that does wonder but I have never admitted that thought to anyone 'till now so you can all decided once and for all that I am officially nuts, lol).

I called them first thing in the morning and then made arrangements - bought all the necessary kitten items I would need and then some. When I returned, she was ready to go - her mama gave her a lick and a promise but she was clearly at the stage of "OK, I have had enough of the motherng biz 24/7" and while she'd had lots of help from the very good breeder, seemed anxious to just relax. Which is not to suggest she did not miss YY - she had two Blue Points left. In retrospect, while one of her two Blue Point sibs was reserved, the other female was not and if I had to do it over, I would have adopted the two of them! (Given my now search for a Blue Point kitten or young cat). But atthe time -even tho I know 2 are often better than one - I wondered if I had time for more than one baby and already had booked a week off to care for the new baby!

After her sibs said goodbye - in their own playful way (I doubt they knew she was leaving for good but you never know) and her mama gave her one more kiss on the top of her tiny head, she herself marched into my brand new cat carrier!! (Granted, we had placed the fleeze blanket which she had liked, into the carrier). Two friends had come with me for the big event and we took pictures of course - had to document YY leaving and embarking on her new life of adventure - exchanged emails so we could keep in touch and YY came with me. She never complained or whined at all in the car and travelled some 4 hours on a train with me - the conductors (some of whom know me) let me hang out in the car with her and they all fell in love with her. If I had known I'd be coming home with a baby, I'd have travelled by car but I like the train on occasion because I can catch up on report writing and don;t have to watch the road.

Anyway - the rest as they say is history - she settled in as if she had livedwith me forever. When I awoke the morning after I had brought her home, she was playing with one of the toys from the carrier - I had placed the carrier on the bed and let her come out when she chose - which was almost immediately - and she cuddled and slept next to me that same nite. It was meant to be and th moral of this long narrative is that (and I do realize you know this so well LR) is that when you find the meezer for you, you and the lucky kitty will know it!!!

Good luck!!!!! As noted previously, I will keep my eyes open for meezer kits.

Last edited by CyberKitten; February 17th, 2006 at 08:12 PM.