View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitie
With Gripenfelter's dog, he must control the dog 100% of the time or that breed will get a foothold and become top dog. Malmutes are very headstrong dogs and cannot assume a role of alpha in any aspect of the human/dog relationship.

For other breeds, allowing the dog some slack might be ok, but not in this case.
I don't know

I'm not a Mal owner, nor do I know anyone in person that owns one but I do own an Australian Cattle Dog, which are also known for being pushy and dominent. I agree that you have to know your own dog's tendancies, but if leash walking isn't a problem and doesn't seem to be affecting the human/dog relationship, then I see no reason to adjust it.

My dog often leads our walks. He also often goes in doorways before I do. Heck, I usually even feed him before I feed myself. Stricly speaking, all of these things are wrong, but we both still know his place in the pack, and that's all that really matters.

This is just my opinon, but I think being Alpha is more about attitude.

Though, as an aside, I do suggest you walk your dog on a different route everytime you walk together. Simply for the dog's enjoyment and to exercise his mind as well.

Last edited by Beetlecat; April 5th, 2005 at 08:05 PM.