View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Senior Contributor

The BSL group that I belong to spent the day in Brooks today at the council meeting. Thanks to a wonderful woman with Rodesian Ridgebacks, it has been tabled for further consideration. One of the council members told her that he would do everything in his power to make sure that no dogs will be banned. But he is only one person.

I have been doing bite research for days. The numbers just aren't there to support these bans. To make matters worse, neither the U.S. or Canada has any type of data base for dog bites and the ones that are reported do not contain critical information. Were the dogs family pets that were kept inside or were they chained/kenneled outside? Have the dogs had any type of training? What precipitated the bite? These are just basic questions that should be answered to make educated decisions on bite prevention.

The other thing that must be considered is the average joe wouldn't know a "pit bull" if it bit him on the nose. (Pun not intended). Hell, my brother and I spent years at dog shows with my mom and I was floored by his lack of dog knowledge! Put 5 or 6 large "pit bull" type dogs in a room and see if your local dog warden can pick out the APBT. Probably not. And nowdays, if the people at the shelter don't know what it is, they label it a pit bull.