View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM

Questions about Propalin (dog incontinence)

Hello everyone,

My vet prescribed Propalin syrup for Mickey's slight incontinence. The dosage is 0.3 ml 3/day for 14 days followed by 0.3 ml 2/day for 7 days then 0.3 ml 1/day for 7 days and finally 0.3 ml every second day. We have to find the smallest dosage that works. Mickey is a male dog who just turned 16 years old. From some of the posts here, several members are using this product. What worries and scares me most are the potential serious side effects:
-agressive behaviour, restlessness
-vomiting, diarrhea
-epileptic episodes, seizures, tremors
-asymptomatic tachyarrythmia, cardiovascular collapse
-allergic reactions

The vet tech told us the side effects are rare but if we see them in Mickey, we have to stop the treatment immediately especially considering Mickey's age. Also I read on the box that it is used to treat incontinence in spayed female dogs. Mickey is a male...

Have you seen any side effects in your dog?

Hubby told me we should start giving him Propalin during the holidays as we will be off work for 2 weeks. We will be able to observe him more closely for any problems. However, if something serious happens, the vet office might be closed... I was wondering if I should start the treatment in the next few days to get the initial 2 week period of high dosage out of the way. But I leave at 8 in the morning and return at 5 in the afternoon so I won't be around to see how he reacts. That worries me also...

Anyway, I would appreciate reading about your experiences with Propalin and how your dog reacted to it.

Thank you!