View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
By the way, I didn't watch the video because I had some problems getting it to play. Maybe it shows stuff that would make me feel that criminal animal abuse is proven here. And I also agree that it should be cruelty per se to keep a dog on a chain. But that cruelty was going on for all of this dog's nineteen years, probably.
The original video shows the dog lying there unable to move, in the mud.
Also, if you read the whole page, apparently a vet has already ruled the dogs condition a case of neglect, as he was underfed, had sores, untreated back problems, etc..

The second video shows the dog up and walking after having some vet care and being fed and watered.

Quote:
I actually think that keeping a young border collie tied up 24/7 is WAY crueler than keeping an old, dying, immobile dog on a chain, but both are legal.
Actually the latter is not legal as it would violate this part of the law:

Quote:
OR DEPRIVES ANY ANIMAL OF NECESSARY SUSTENANCE, DRINK, SHELTER OR VETERINARY CARE, OR ACCESS TO CLEAN AND SANITARY SHELTER WHICH WILL PROTECT THE ANIMAL AGAINST INCLEMENT WEATHER AND PRESERVE THE ANIMAL'S BODY HEAT AND KEEP IT DRY.
A dog that is unable to get up or move, and is left lying in the mud, has no access to clean and sanitary shelter.

The former (in regards to the border collie), would also be illegal under pennsylvania law if the dog didn't have access to shelter that would protect the dogs health, but I don't know which particular case you're speaking of.

Quote:
Is it cruelty per se not to euthanize a dog who can't move on his own?
By law? It's cruelty if because of this, the dog can't eat or drink and is starving to death.
If the dog is given veterinary care, proper shelter and can still eat and drink, I wouldn't choose to keep the dog alive (unless it was just partial paralysis), but no, it's not against the law.