View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
I VERY pro-beer conservation! Thanks for the "alternative" method!
Well I mixed some up and it's out now, with a little roof of plain cardboard creased in half, so it's straddling the container in the dirt. Will see if it captures anything in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Mollywog, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread for a sec, since Cearaq knows alot more than me about plants...Is it possible for a Daylily to cross with a rose, i have a very pale yellow rose, it's three years old, last year i planted a yellow and orange striped daylily behind it, this year two rose buds came out the pale yellow, and the rest are coming out with the orange stripe...Only other rose in that garden is my " Love" rose, petals are red inside, and white outside.
First of all, pictures or it didn't happen! Just kidding.

I will vote no, that it isn't possible, because the rose and daylily belong to two different classifications. Was your rose a grafted type? Sometimes grafted roses can start to flower from the root part of the graft instead of the top that was added. That's the only thing I can think of right now.

But if someone knows more, I love to learn! Feel free to chime in. My "specialty" is really only Lilies. The rest, I only know a little bit about.

Quote:
oh oh and if you're a delphinium fan, do you like Gladeolas(sp?), i find their leaves are much more attractive. If so Mine are getting to the bulb splitting age. I have several different colors, when they bloom i'll post pics for you.
Glads are nice, but I don't personally like them because I'd have to dig them up every year and store the corms somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
do you or dh smoke by anychance, put a couple of cigarettes in a jug, or jar or some container and fill with warm water, let it steep into a tea substance, and pour around the plants. Wont hurt your plants and helps get rid of the slugs, also works on aphids and other evil little critters.
I didn't know the tobacco stuff would deter slugs. I wonder if the rhubarb leaf tea would work for them too?
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper