View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:17 AM
boubou

Foster kittens, why are they dying??

I'm fostering a cat that came into the shelter very pregnant and I brought her home the next day. She was caged and in quarantine for one night, I brought her home on the Sunday and she gave birth that night to six kittens. She is an amazing mom, looked very experienced and the kittens were thriving, until last week. We noticed a few were getting weak and on Friday afternoon, we came home and one was dead. I decided to start supplementing them with kitten milk and Nutri-pet, and still another one died yesterday, and now this morning 2 more are struggling. They won't suckle at all and when I feed one of them, it comes out his nose even though he is not on his back and I put in a few drops at a time. I have them under a heat lamp, but they're always moving around, and they're cold. I'm quite sure they won't make it either. I will start sub-q fluids this afternoon once I get back from my moms - what bad timing it being mothers day and all.....

Do you think the mom could have caught Rhino (even though she's not symptamatic) and passed it on to her babies in her womb? Any other suggetions why they're dying??? My daughter is so distraught over this, she's the one who took on the reponsiblility of caring for the mom and babies - they're actually in her bedroom....help!