View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Garden nut

A lot of people skim posts on here and never read the whole thing.

I suggest making friends with a butcher. That way when there's organ meat involved that you're buying from him/her anyway, sometimes they will grind and not charge you for it. I do that at the grocery store with people food because I make my own sausage now and then and like a specific amount of fat, choose the cut and ask the butcher to grind it which he always does and is very good about it.

I used to go yuck about handling organ meat too but just got over it. I still use knife/fork when handling it and never use my hands though. But the yuck factor is not near as bad. Hubby could care less. He's used to cleaning animals and fish.

You can toss liver into a food processor. Use fork/knife, whizz it and then remove from processor using a spatula. I imagine the same could be for hearts and what not.

There are some attachments to large bowl type mixers you can get, if you have the large mixer anyway. Anything from meat grinders to pasta roller/cutter. But they are kinda pricey.

Kale is excellent for people tho. It doesn't taste like much, but is a brassica family plant like cabbage and is full of nutrients. But I don't feed greens to my dogs. Would rather eat them myself.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper