View Single Post
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:42 AM

Dog is crazy about food, need help

hey everyone,

as some of you may know, i had quite a big problem with my foster puppy Dozer.

hes fine now, the virus passed almost completely now from his system.

two days after i posted on here, i was able to get him to a hospitle and he was in their care for about 10 days.

anyhow, hes with me now, and has been for a good week or so.

hes been diagnosed with hip displacia, which is a result of being fed a poor diet and getting CPV which, according to the vet, ate away at his pelvic bone.

anyhow, i feed him 3 times a day, a plateful of food, i mean, theres a lot, and he eats it all.

but the problem isnt that he eats it all, he inhales it, thats how fast he eats it, and he ends up with a bloated stomache thats stiff when you touch it.

im afriad he might choke on his food, but the ammount i put doesnt matter, because anything he wants to eat, he will eat quickly.

not only that, the biggest problem is that when i pull him away from his food while hes eating to see if he can slow down somehow, he barks,whines, and yelps sooooooooooo loud that he could wake the neighbours. i mean, like, yelping so loud it hurts your ears. is this a puppy thing? if you hold a puppy back from their food, do their normally do this?
is there anyway i could make him slow down when he eats?

also, is it a survival instict that dogs chow down on everything and anything edible? is that why they over eat?
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang