View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:27 PM

Thank You!

I got a lot of information from everyone and I'm very happy to say that not one person said that I needed to get rid of one of them, so thank you to everyone!

As for an update, well they are a little over 8 weeks now and we kind of took a mix of advices from everyone. We did end up keeping them together for a bit, but I started noticing some problems where they wouldn't listen to us calling them when they were together, no matter how hard we tried. In fact one seems to be the leader and wants to do his own thing and when he walks away the other would follow. So then we started seperating them, not 100% of the time, just some of the time. Doing this I think kind of gained the trust of the one that isn't so dominant and now when their together it's about a 85% chance of them listening.
So we kind of do half and half. During the day when we are not home, I bought two cages for the basement (4ft x 4ft) (basement has mutiple windows) and we currently keep them seperated but the cages are right next to each other. At night when we go to bed I have two of the "large" crates and we keep them seperated but in the same room with us and they are right next to each other. So when are they together? Basically whenever we are home or we are not going to be gone long we keep them together in the backyard and we also feed them together. It's about 10hrs each day during the week and about 18hrs each day on the weekend.

As for the walks, we still do them in an empty parking lot that is near the house or we take them to the pet store when it rains (got their first shots last weekend) and they seem to do fairly well. They still do play when on walks and they do tend to want to do their own thing but we took the advise of all of you and realized they are so young that is what they are going to do, so we are not overally concerned. The main thing for us is to get them out there, burn some of the massive amounts of energy they have, allow them to smell new things, get used to the sounds and meet people, but since they are still young when there is other dogs around we go the other way for now.

I am pleased to say that at night, we have not had one accident yet in the crate (knock on wood), they usually wake up, cry/bark I quickly bring them outside, they do their duty and I've got them to learn to walk right back inside (works about 90% of the time). As for when they are romping around the house, there is accidents, one is very good at going towards the door, pending he makes it, the other is more interested in playing, but I think we can manage.

As I'm sure with all pups, they do like to roll around in the mud, they are digging a hole, ripped off the bottom of gutter and started chewing on the bottom of the fence but they do stop when I say "no".

Overall they are doing well and we realized through all of the responses that although they might be "big" (20lbs), they are still pups and learning and playing is what they do best, so we are learning to enjoy and laugh about some of the things they do, but we are still stearn (without the frustration) with stuff we don't want them to do.

We have owned dogs before but never two together, so any more advice anyone has is much appreciated, or if you think were doing anything wrong, please let us know. Like I said we took a lot of it to heart and again thank you for not saying we had to get rid of one as that would have just made us more frustrated...there is a chance!