Thread: plaque attack
View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:01 PM

Post Essential oil ingredients contraindicated for pets

I am a clinician and formulary herbalist and clinical aromatherapist who founded a company that manufacturers among other products, a line of Equine and Pet herbal products. We also manufacture a Premium Line (for Adults) and Children's Line (the first commercially available line of true alcohol-free formulas for Children in the herbal/natural products industry starting in 1991). My company was the first company in the industry to introduce the Aromaceutical™ concept into liquid herbal products, e.g. adding a small ingredient amount of Essential Oils (EO's) blends into the finished liquid herbal products.
Studies in Europe have clearly shown that EO's are toxic (and even poisonous) to small pets, dogs and cats included, but ESPECIALLY CATS! This is not hubris or something drawn out of thin air but a proven scientific fact!
We were approached by a Veterinarian in Virginia about doing a specific line of our products for small pets, as she had already been using the Children's products for her small pet patients. This of course prompted me to inform her not to use any products that contained our Aromaceutical™ ingredient. A complete line of Pets products was developed/formulated followed shortly thereafter with an Equine line of products. In both our Equine and Pets products NO EO's are used at anytime. Why? Because dogs and cats, and especially cats, cannot matabolize the heavy mole weight constituents of EO's, such as the terpines, esters and aldehyde compounds. These compounds build up in the liver of dogs and cats and over time WILL result in serious liver problems and damage, that can result in death.Even external use of diluted EO's solutions are damaging. Sadly, most Veterinarians don't recognize the symptoms for EO's toxicity/poisoning and can accidentally utilize a protocol that can exacerbate the condition.
Dr. George is a dentist who's schooling and degree are for HUMAN medicine, not veterinarian medicine. He obviously has no knowledge or understanding of dog and cat physiology, biochemistry or animal medicine considerations. He (or she) has patented a product that has no reliable basis in clinical studies as to toxicity/poisoning issues specifically for Plaque Attack. As for the people who say they have used Plaque Attack for years on their pets "safely," well... that needs to be substantiated with a full liver panel of these pets to ascertain if indeed they have not been damaged with the EO's ingredients in this product. Those testimonials are a very shallow assessment and ignore the need for much deeper assessment of this premise done on a scientific basis, not cheap anecdotal stories that completely ignore the evidence otherwise and put innocent pets at risk. No matter how you cut it using Plaque Attack with its EO's ingredients is a form of cruelty to pets I cannot not broker.
I have studied EO's and their uses in general aromatherapy (topical use), clinical aromatherapy (internal use), herbalism, nutritional science, foods, beverages, confectionaries, etc., and have a highly weighted understanding of the physiological and biochemical effects on humans AND animals, and have collaborated with numerous veterinarians who completely agree with my assessments. In other words, I can safely say I know much more about this subject of using EO's as ingredients in products and their effects both short term and long term on pets than the creator(s)/purveyor(s) of Plaque Attack do.
In closing, Plaque Attack's EO's ingredients are contraindicated for pets in many respectable and credible texts on the subject both here in the U.S. and abroad, especially Europe. Also, my personal experience verifies that the EO's ingredients in Plaque Attack are a ticking time bomb of toxicity and poisoning for innocent pets. This is fact, not the fantasy hubris the owner/marketers of Plaque Attack are foisting on an unsuspecting public and ill informed veterinarian community.