View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:47 PM

Mouthwash for mouth sores

Some of you who have seen my earlier thread will be familiar with the week long story of Shadow. In short, we recently had a tumor removed from his belly but have still been unable to convince him to eat (even with a stimulant). He appears interested in food, but spits it out.

We took him to the vet and he said his tongue is quite irritated. He prescribed a mouthwash they use in the radiation department for cats with mouth sores - it's supposed to numb the area so they'll be willing to eat. Well, I think the third time, I managed to get about half of it IN his mouth - this took two people to do and once it was done, he salivated so heavily that I'm not sure it got anywhere important. We haven't had this much trouble with the liquid pain medication.

Anyone have any suggestions for a pain relieving wash that might not be so hard on him? I think it's just Lydacaine - seems like they could suspend it in malt or something they may not hate so much.

In any case, here's hoping for an easy solution to this particular problem - eventually, when I get all the info, I'll be posting about suggestions for chemo since we have to go that route, but right now, I'd be happy to get him to eat!!!