View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsusieq View Post
I haven't actually adopted this schedule yet, I feel this is way too much crate time and I would like to completely move away from him sleeping in his crate and just have him crated when we're gone at work, until he learns not to chew up all the furniture. But yes from 8-4, with the exception of lunch, there is no one home.

This schedule I posted was in reaction to what people have told me about how he should be crated ("he should only sleep in his crate, he should be crated when you're gone, and he should spend some time in the crate when you're home too"). All the advice I've gotten has either been that, or "Why did you get a puppy when you work! You need to be able to tend to their needs 24/7!" with these elaborate crate/outside/inside schedules.

Just wanted to get some feedback from this forum. Personally the crate hurts my heart and I've never crated a dog before, but it's what everyone's been saying I just MUST do like there's never been another way to raise a puppy.
I see no reason to have in him the crate when you're home unless you are taking a shower . When I had a puppy I never had her in a crate and she was fine . I made sure there was nothing around that she could chew
that could harm her like cords that where plugged in. A puppy need to be able to explore it environment so he can learn what it OK to get into and what not is OK to touch. . He'll never learn if he kept in a crate all day.