View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

You have a mixture of mouth oriented breeds. BC nip to herd. Labs and Spaniels retrieve with their mouths. I don't know about Pointers, do they retrieve too? Anyway, these breeds are hardwired to use their mouths and the right way is developed with training which the mother dog does not do all by herself. You have to help your puppy.

Let me insert here that most dogs learn to exist in harmony with their house mate cats. If the cat won't give the pup a whack on the nose you must step in.

Are you taking her to obedience classes? A good trainer will help you with techniques to try. You have lots of energy and a need to work built into those crosses. Exercise alone won't do it, that dog needs mental work too.

Yelping doesn't always work. Yelping in a high pitched voice may sound like excitement to your pup. In training you use your voice and high pitched GOOD GIRL is praise and encouragement while a low growly BAD DOG is discipline. You see how your pup might get confused?

The Dunbar article is great, please read it.

Other things to try are. Be tree. Stop playing. NO! Lip under the teeth. Substitute an acceptable toy BEFORE the bite comes. Keep your hands free. I did the last two with my Lab. I swear the only time I got to cuddle him was when he was sleeping on my lap. At 6 months old something clicked in his little black brain and he simply didn't bite.