View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley14 View Post
You guys have raised up a lot of valid concerns that I didn't even think of! So I've decided to just stick with the more traditional litter box for now. I'm going to get the Scoop-Free or Litter Maid self-cleaning one, so it's more traditional, but still a little more automatic. Seems like a good compromise since this one is rather expensive to take a risk on something that may not work very well.
But anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all your thoughts and helping me make a decision!

Steph
I currently use the litter maid, 500 model which I think is the least expensive one. But I'm thinking of going with one of the larger versions, mainly because my kittens are growing and they both need room now, so a bigger one might be in my future LOL. It's like they're taking a tour of the litter box when they go in there.

I'm pretty happy with it. For the most part it takes the clumps and solids into the receptacle. But it still leaves little bits and pieces in the litter, which is no big deal, I usually go in and sift through those and toss them in the receptacle. I've taken to keeping my trash bags from the market and using them as liners, which helps keep the cost of new receptacles down.

I'm gone all day, and I don't like the thought of having them using litter while it's got clumps and stuff in there. With this I know whenever they go in, its free of most of that and their poop is raked.

One thing I did notice about this cat genie which I thought about after I saw some of the videos, is it does look like it would be more sanitary for your cat. I like the thought of my cats not going back to a dirty box throughout the day and night. Because even though we/or a machine scoops out their waste, its always dirty and unsanitary for them, unless you clean the box and put in new litter every time they use it. This seems to at least wash the crystals and the box so that you know its always clean. I want the litter box to be sanitary more for them than for me. Hell, I wash my hands whenever I have anything to do with litter, they don't have that option. They are always walking in a box that's been used at some point, then they go off and groom themselves which includes their little paws.

I'm actually contemplating this now when I move to my new place. I just need to see if I can get the money for it, since its quite expensive.