View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2004, 03:37 PM

Exclamation Need info on dog law in CA

I need help! I had an incident yesterday and I need toresearch my liability under CA law.

I own 2 pit bulls. I want to preface this by saying that I am a very responsible pet owner and I take dog ownership very seriously.

Yesterday my niehgbor's chihuahua crawled through a hole in my fence. My dogs were in my yard and safely penned in. When the chihuahua crawled through my dogs went after it. As soon as I realized what was going on, I went outside and started to break up the fight. The owner of the chi and his son were looking over the fence. The owner instructed his son to climb over the fence and help me. Together we caught my dogs and handed the chi back over the fence to the owner. As the son and I were looking for the hole where the dog got through we realized 2 things. First, my dogs had made a hole in the fence, not large enough for them to get through but large enough for a chi to get through. Second, I realized that my nieghbor, while being a dog owner himself, didn't have a fence put up on his side.

After the incident, I went over and checked on the son and the chi to make sure that everyone was ok. The son had some cuts on his hand but nothing that even remotely resembled a bite of any sort.

My husband and I have mended our fence and given the nieghbor plywood to make a fence on his side.

I don't know if these guys have a case but I don't want to get sued either. Does anyone know where I can research Dog Law in CA?