View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM

Epilepsy in dogs- advice needed

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum but i am in need of some advice.

I have a year and half old husky cross shepherd his name is Dozer. Amazing dog i could not ask for anything better for my husband and I's first dog. What i need advice for how to cope with a dog with epilepsy.
when dozer was only 7 months old he began to have seizures, some were mild and some were hard core. the last hard core episodes happen in September of 2011 and that's when i went to another vet since i felt my current vet was not doing enough to help him and they started him on the phenalbarb (sorry for the misspelling on that) and i was told he has epilepsy. I was told Dozer will more then likely be on this medication for the rest of his life which i am ready to except.

what i need though is advice on how to cope when he has seizures. i have seen countless of them since we have had him, even one on the way to the vets and honestly i thought i could stay strong and get used to him having them but for some reason i cant. I don't want to give up on my baby boy but this is starting to have an effect on my mental and emotional and physical health. my husband and i have considered giving him up but i constantly think would if someone takes him but dose not care for him right? and who would want a dog with a disorder like Dozers?
im just looking for some people who have delt with this kinda thing and how the result turned out.

Thanks so much!
Concerned pet owner
Attached Images