View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
Just as a heads up, in Alberta, carpet cleaning is under "normal wear and tear" as in carpets should be cleaned in between tenants and that cost should be built into the rent as an operating cost. If you charge a tenant for it directly, they can go through the Advisory Board and you will have to give it back to them...been there. Unfortunately, in Alberta these non-refundable deposits are legal though, but if you say it's because you are charging for carpet cleaning, a tenant does have some rights because the law supercedes any agreement between landlord and tenant.

Difference of opinion here I guess...I would not rent from a landlord who charges the deposit because I see it as a cash grab. As a business person, a landlord needs to figure out his/her expenses and factor them into the rent over the long run. Damage to a suite is covered under the regular Damage Deposit and if more damage is done, that is what the court is for. $150 or $2000...neither one is fair nor justified.
I disagree completely, I believe it is fair and justified. I am leaving behind several area rugs for the comfort and safety of her dog, who is old and has some hip issues. The runners and area rugs will help him move around a little safer. If I weren't leaving them behind for her I wouldn't ask for the deposit.
She informed me that she was worried about him slipping and sliding and getting hurt, that she didn't have area rugs and runners, that is when I made the agreement that I would leave them, but I would want a pet fee to have them cleaned after they vacate.
Trust me, it is not a cash grab on my part whatsoever, infact I will be losing money renting to these folks, but it's a small price to pay to have someone I know and respect renting, then strangers, who may or may not have respect for my house.
I feel if I leave my own personal property for her to borrow, then asking for a cleaning fee is both fair and justified. Not to mention, I'm only charging them 1/2 a months rent for a damage deposit, I don't know how much more accomodating and fair I can be.