View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2003, 06:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Diana, I'm sorry - that came off much more abrupt than I intended! And no, you didn't say throw the can AT the dog, I know you just meant to do it to make a noise that would startle him. I didn't mean to attack you - heck differing opinions are what make message boards interesting. My apologies.

Anyhow, I know that many people use this method....but my point was I think it's actually better for the dog to understand exactly where the reprimand is coming from. Dogs love and respect their leaders. Marking in the house is real disrespectful (from the dog's POV) and is a major infraction.

I have owned mostly Rottweilers who can be very strong minded. Plus they are real smart - it wouldn't take any of my dogs more than one or two can corrections to figure out where it was coming from. Not to mention most Rottweilers wouldn't be particularly phased by a loud noise. They'd probably look at the can, finish peeing, and then trot over to sniff it. Huskies are pretty strong willed dogs too, and don't tend to be nervous dogs. the can thing might work for a nervous type dog, but probably not for the average Husky!