Thread: SSRi's for cats
View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
If that is the case then you know that a vet visit is in order before administering any drugs. Just as a doctor's visit is in order for humans.
The only times I have heard of cats being put on calming medications almost every person had the same complaint. It turned the cat into zombies. AG had Czari on meds for a while. I think she had a good experience. But she was in contact with her vet every step of the way.
Hi 14+kitties,

Thank you for the reply. My cat has had a fairly recent complete workup and clean bill of health a couple months ago.
The 'calming meds' you mention are most likely benzodiazepenes such as Valium. Yes, they are very sedating. This was the class of drugs mainly used in dogs and cats for anxiety and behavior disorders before the advent of SSRI's in Vet medicine. SSRI's are not sedatives, and generally not at all sedating when given in the right dose.

I was just hoping to find some members here who have had their cats specifically on SSRI's (paxil, prozac, zoloft, etc.), and if they were effective.

Thanks anyway.