View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Chico;

I had a very long talk with the vet near where I work. He also said that Feliway is not as effective with calming multi-cat situations as it is with calming destructive behaviors such as clawing and peeing/spraying in inappropriate places. Having said that he also said if the hormones are effective on at least one of them - then using it in conjunction with other integration techniques would/should help smooth things out. So, I went ahead and got the Feliway and I'm going back to square 1 with the integration process - no visuals, scent only, for another week or so. Hopefully we get more steps forward than we do back.

This particular vet is great. His office is located in an area of the city where I work that is quite depressed and he focuses his practice on families that are low-income. His clinic rates are comparable to other vets but, he really encourages homeopathic remedies where appropriate, offers sliding scale and payment based charging on procedures, does occasional spay/neuter clinics that are 'pay what you can' and he keeps the cost of products he supplies pretty low......I got the Feliway atomizer and a good sized pump bottle of the spray for about $85 all together - I think he said the refills for the atomizer were $35. He doesn't sell any food and won't recommend any particular labels but advocates for grain-free, organic if possible and raw when he thinks it's appropriate. If it wasn't a 45 minute drive from home I'd bring them all there.........but my two have always assumed a trip in the carrier was a death march or something...... We've been in the same office now since they were both kittens - different vets depending on when you go but at least it's a full and complete medical record.

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs