View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Well there is two types of training methods. One that K9 Love teaches and the other which does not pussy foot around.

Go with the advice that is given and let us know what the results are.
What exactly are you trying to say Ben Max? In my opinion, you ARE pussy footing around with your words

There are particular ways that I handle issues that I will never post on a board like this, perhaps in discussion but NEVER to advise someone else to do with their dog. We give advice here, NONE of us have met the dog personally, seen it interact with dogs, know it's history, do not personally know the owners, their lifestyle, if there are children present and the extent of their experience with dogs.

I hardly consider what I posted to be pussy footing. It's merely an EXCERCISE that influences a dog's perception in this particular situation, about other dogs.

I never claimed that it was the end all of the behaviour. I just have reluctant feelings to advise someone that I don't know, with a dog that I don't know, to go around checking their dog with a prong collar whenever a strange dog comes near.

I don't believe, although I'll go back and re-read the OP, that this dog has ever attacked another dog. If he has, and somehow I missed that important fact, I would not advise to have this dog loose around other dogs period until the behaviours been worked on, tested, tried and true, and I assure you it would take more then a few checks with a prong IMO.

I don't fully buy into negative associations when it comes to harsh corrections for reactive/aggressive behaviours, but I most definitely believe that if done improperly, it will cause a heck of a lot more damage, then not doing the positive excercise I posted.

I could write a page and a half about what I, personally would do with a dog like this, but I seriously doubt anyone would want to read it! ROFL So I try to keep it short, simple, to the point and with as little risk as possible to the dog, owner and anyone else that might come into contact with the dog. Just my outlook on it of course.

ETA - I can't give you an answer as to how PR trainers stop a dog from attacking, you know why? Because I'm not a "purely positive" trainer! lol. I can tell you what I would do, but I have a feeling those PR people wouldn't like it much! ROFL! This is a completely different situation to me though. This dog is not attacking, it's warning which means there's still time to positively change this dog's perception. I agree that with some cases you have to give tough love to get REAL, reliable results rather then constantly nagging and pleading, but I just don't see this as a case that requires that type of mentality.

Last edited by K9 Love; December 10th, 2008 at 01:44 AM.