View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
What I think is that if anyone showed me what they wanted me to do by dragging me around the neck or jerking on the collar of my shirt - I may well learn what they want me to, and I might not even say anything (have I mentioned that my husband things that I am aggressive?) but that certainly doesn't make it any less abusive.

I am not a dog. I speak the same language you do and through that - you are able to communicate to me. Your dog hears "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah" - jerk to the floor by the collar. If a toddler won't stop running in circles around your living room do you grab it by the throat to make it stop?

I think what we are trying to make you understand is this - JERKING A DOG AROUND BY THE COLLAR IS ABUSE. No matter what the dog (who hasn't known anything different ever)thinks - as a living, breathing, THINKING human being - it is abuse!
Totally understandable LR, and I can see what you're saying.

I think if Brad did anything wrong in that video, it was not properly displaying what he tells clients to do in person.

Whenever I saw him explain this method in person, he would very gently press down on the leash towards the ground, applying juuuuust enough pressure for the dog to understand the direction that the handler wanted the dog to focus on. It was never, ever about slamming the dog to the ground with all the force in the world, and I think he should've been more careful about how he portrayed that training technique.

As far as dragging your dog around by the collar - I see people doing this every day, walking their dogs on a leash - if the dog does not respect the leash or the owner, isn't that what is happening to the dogs neck as the owner hauls the dog back to their side over and over and over again? Or what about the dog that is straining on the leash to socialize with another dog, but the owner tugs on the leash to keep moving? And regardless of whether or not the owner themselves puts tension on the leash, what about the dog itself that can be putting it there by pulling and leading?

I bet you those owners don't consider themselves abusive.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)