View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojuorn View Post
thanks for the reply sugarcatmom. I was told that the IV treatment would treat the anemia as well. But I am not quite sure how that works. I asked if there were nutrients in the saline (sp?) but was told that there is not. That it is just pretty much saline and sugar? I forget the exact name of what they were using.
Depends on what they're using, most have sodium, potassium and chlorine some also have magnesium & calcium.

The one with a sugar variation is 5% Dextrose in Water which is not appropriate in this situation.

Quote:
The only thing I could get him to eat was 5 small kitty treats.. I tried 4 different types of food, but that is all he would eat, and no more than 5. I just wish I knew what I should be expecting. The Vet didn't seem to have any good answers for me. I can only pray that the vet knows what he is doing..
Try leaving a low plate/saucer of food near where he is laying so he doesn't have to get up & go to the food dish. You've been given good suggestions for tempting foods, also tiny pinch of catnip may stimulate the appetite in some cats.

Cats with anaemia are often very tired & will sleep more than normal, they are also often very cold if you can have him lay on a fleece blanket & tuck it over & around him to keep him warm that will help him to feel better. Warmth might perk the appetite up a bit too.

I would bet Kobe's reactions have more to do with the anaemia than they do just the IV fluids. My CRF girl was in hospital for IV treatments during a severe food allergy reaction and was fine during/after IV treatments, she did have mild appetite loss but the ER staff kept her there until she had eaten enough & kept it down, they did have me come in to feed her as they felt she hadn't eaten enough for them.

Quote:
Dropped Kobe off for his 3rd IV treatment day today. Spoke with the vet about the non eating and non drinking. Asked about Sub-Q's. Vet told me that at this point Sub-Q treatments will do nothing for Kobe and that he wouldn't recommend them... even if his numbers have come down (doing new labs today). Is this true??
Sub-q fluids are essential to treat any CRF cat but especially one that has had very high numbers.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying