View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Did somebody say English Setter?

Yes, they can be stubborn, though not all are...and yes, they require an even hand, because they really are quite sensitive. Sounds like a paradox, but it's true. They require a lot of patient training. They're fairly slow to mature--2 to 3 years...Evan, had he lived, would have taken at least till age 4 (at 3, he was just beginning to show signs of sanity ). And I've got to warn you that if you're considering a puppy, young English Setters are really a handful. One would definitely keep Amber on her paws... Young setters need lots of exercise and mental stimulation.

However, once they're at that 2-3 year age, they really mellow out. We call it SSMS--Sudden Setter Maturity Syndrome. I can't tell you how many wasted vet trips we've had due to SSMS. One day, they're , zooming puppies; the next they don't want to get off the couch! Fools us every time...

Also, once they've undergone SSMS, they're usually pretty rock-solid on that training that you thought they'd never get the hang of.

As for temperament...they're sweet, generally love people and other dogs, and can recognize another English Setter (I didn't believe it till I saw it), but they are very 'soft'. They can be very trying and occasionally I will loudly tell the Sheriff, for example, to "stop barking, it's just a dn deer"...and those big brown eyes roll up at me and the lips purse and you expect to see a tear trickle down that gorgeous face.... Yes...nice-nice and cuddling usually ensues... Which usually distracts him from barking at the deer...so we're both happy!

Setters need to be close to their people. They'll take your bed if you let them. (Maybe even if you don't )

They need a fair amount of grooming. They aren't double-coated, but they require daily brushing because of the mats. They're also somewhat prone to ear infections, so weekly cleaning is a good idea.

Now that I've blathered on, anything specific you want to know?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."