View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.wagntrain.com/OC/

I thought the correct terminology was operant conditioning. Vesus classic conditioning, as explained in the link above.

Thus, to go back to the OP, I understand positive punishment to be stronger that negative punishment. To use the Dobie example, turning their backs was negative punishment. The thing lost was the human involvement of the facing human. BenMax's example of walking into the Dobe was positive punishment, it delivered an unexpected and unwelcome consequence to the dog.

For myself I believe each has value and a place in training. I should also say that I think those who are uncomfortable with their ability to judge when a positive punishment is merited might do well to shy away from using it. Some dogs may never need a positive correction or punishment. (Correction is a nicer term I think) Some might and not all owners are experienced enough to know the difference.

Then, if they end up calling in a trainer or so-called behaviourist in to help them they can ask if the trainer is familiar with operant conditioning and ask which of the four he/she employs. It's nice to know your trainer has training and experience and knows more than you do and I find just a little bit of knowledge on our part can help determine this.