View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
I know you told us to hold our 'breath', but I couldn't after reading this sentence.

While I believe that prong collars when used properly can be an effective training tool sometimes, by no means would I ever resort to using one simply because a dog is difficult.

In fact, prong collars in the wrong or uneducated hands, in an attempt to deal with any kind of behavioral issue while on leash can do MUCH more damage than good.

I've trained hundreds of dogs, all of varying levels of anxiety - aggression - age - and behavioral issues; and have YET to resort to using a prong collar. In fact, most of the times, I'm taking the prong collars off of dogs on a first meeting.

If anyone is relying on a prong collar to get their point across to a dog in a black and white manner, they are trying to skip many steps BEFORE the walk even begins - therefore looking for a quick fix.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. It is my opinion that a few very black and white instructions beats several dozen weak corrections any day.

Before instilling the behaviour you want, you need to break or interrupt the negative behaviour.

I find that the prong collar, on certain dogs, is the most effective way to do this, and ultimately the most humane solution. A few moments of discomfort beats hours of frustration.

Lexus - Rottweiler/Cattle Dog - Raw fed, lover of all things humorous
Fable - Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd - Grain Free - hyper, hyperintelligent, apple of our eye

And of course, the cats Jasper and Pey'j, and the current flock Kenya, Kirby, Sunny, Simone and Duffy.

Last but not least, the endless stream of incoming and outgoing rescue pups!