View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog food and ear mites??

My nephew has a two year old black lab "Jet". I haven't met the dog yet, but they were over the other night and we were talking about dog food. I asked them what they feed him and it was the generic Super Store food. I explained the value of changing from these generic foods with corn and beet pulp, and the way they fool you by saying the first ingredient is chicken (as opposed to chicken meal, but once it's dried out into meal it falls way down the list). He said to me well the dog looks great! I said "Well yeah, he's two!" Anyhow, they went out and bought Taste of the Wild as that's what I feed and about a week after changing him over he ended up with a major ear mite infection. The vet gave him a shot and some pills and asked what had changed and they said food. The vet said, that's probably what gave him mites. WHAT??? I've never heard of a dog getting ear mites from dog food. Has anybody every heard of that?? I told him I'd ask, but that I suspected his vet was full of it. He also wondered, he said he'd expect the runs but not ear mites either. Just curious....