View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Very Upset please I need advice.....

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been here in a while just a very busy life getting one son ready for 8th grade and the other for first year of College and loving my fur baby. I'm extremely upset and I don't know what to do. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. Before I'm jumped on the dog has been to the vet several times for this.

I have a Shih Tzu male who is going to be 10 months old Aug 20th. I had him neutered May 15th and cried the whole two days. He was so out of it and I was really scared but he was fine. Just really doped up and I never saw anything like that. I didn't leave his side.

Yes the puppy is a puppy mill dog. I did not set out to do this. I don't even go into puppy stores. My sister needed me to pick something up for her and I saw him and fell in love with him. He was already 4 months old and I heard them say he was at their other story and that he was getting old. Well we bought him and he has been a fantastic puppy.

He is bell trained to go out side. He loves to cuddle and we only feed him Natural Balance. Sometimes we will give him some cooked ground turkey mixed in his food. He loves baby raw carrots and we are careful with his treats not giving him wheat or soy of red dye #40. I bought him a water bottle from Aqua babies to drink from and he only gets spring water.

Here is my problem. I noticed that every time he went out to pee he would drop down and lick himself. It was like he had a burning sensation. It would come and go so when I noticed it happening more I made an appointment with the vet and had him checked. It came back that he had blood in his urine and had a UTI. He was put on Amoxicellin for 14 days but on the 10th day I was told to bring in another urine sample. I do clean catches with a sterile container. (human urine sample cup) Well he still had the UTI so I was told to stop the amoxicellin and start the Clavamox he was put on 62.5 mgs giving him 1 and a half 2 x's a day and bring in urine again between 9 to 12 days. I brought in the Urine today which is day 10 and he is no better.

Now I'm told that he will need x-rays and ultra sound and a urine cultural. This will cost 375.00 on top of the 225.00 that I have already spent. Now I asked the vet if we could do a clean catch Urine cultural first to see if the antibiotics were the right one for the infection he said that they are done all together but the girls said yes they could do that and it would be 75.00. My reason for this is if they are not giving him the right antibiotics for the infection that this could go on forever. Not to mention I don't want my dog on antibiotics for so long. I don't even like them for my kids.

I have front lined him 3 times 6-7 weeks apart so far but I'm scared to do it again and am looking for something more natural. He has had the Lyme vaccine due to where we live and I myself have Lyme. Could there be something really seriously wrong with my puppy. He is like one of my kids and I'm really upset as to what is going on. I read that Shih Tzu's could have renal disease but when he was netured they gave me the option as to weather or not to have blood work for 75.00 on top of the neutering and I said yes. I have copies of all the labs that were run and they are perfect.

He is well groomed, peter kept clean and hair is shaved in that area. He is groomed every month.

Please give me advice. I'm so upset I don't know what to do. I don't even know what could cause this?

Sami