View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
And sporting goods stores carry those foam ear plugs. Very effective against excessive barking! You just need to keep a sharp eye out for emergency vehicles since you'll be unable to hear the sirens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
I would only use gravol as a last resort such as if you were more than an hour into the trip and the dogs were still crazy. They will likely settle fairly quickly especially when you get up to highway speeds.

I use seatbelts for the dogs and have since Riley was a puppy. This is the model that I like the best www.kurgo.com I don't like to connect the dog to the seatbelt as I find connecting them lower down like that can get them tangled. I actually have short super strong leashes that I anchor to the child anchor bolts and bring behind and over the top of the seats and then attach them to the dog's seatbelt. Kurgo also makes an auto zip line to connect the dogs http://www.kurgo.com/products/azl.html.

I would recommend trying the homeopathic remedy Aconitum nepalis (aconite) 30c or 200c and give one hour before and then again right before travel. It is very good for fearful and/or stressed dogs.

If you get the seatbelts I would recommend a few short trips individually before tackling the long trip.

Good luck.
The zipline looks interesting. I may pack the Gravol for a "just in case" emergency. Thanks for the links TeriM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post
Are you able to put the dogs in a crate somehow in your vehicle? Or, like others suggested, a seatbelt may be helpful. I have heard before about withholding food/water before the car trip, but have only heard this is regards to when a dog gets car sick... do they get car sick or just act nuts in the vehicle?
Other than bringing the crate folded up, I have a four door sedan so no room for a crate. I'll make sure to withhold the food/water before the trip. We're not leaving until late morning/early afternoon so that'll be plenty of time after breakfast. Not sure about Mollie getting sick as this will be her first long road trip but what I do know is that they both act nuts-oh!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)