View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

That is a good idea too Rottielover. I do alot of workshops on operating non profit Boards - you can even obtain an eMBA on running nonprofits pretty much for free (You prob have to pay for the books) online and there is a wealth of info. There is so much that any non profit- whether it's a hospital, daycare center, association for disabled ppl, environmental lobby group, etc - needs to know and fundraising is a big part of it. A group I am involved with (NOT the hospital but I borrowed some of their ideas from ppl well skilled in this field) is starting a Foundation simply for fundraising. Just the taxation info can be daunting - how to offer ppl choices like planned giving, endowments and so on. I am actually booked to take a course on endowments one weekend in Sept at Harvard Buisness School - just bec with one org I am in, every time I attended a mtg, I was borrowing my bf's Intermediate Cost Accounting text book, lol But there is soooo much one can do in fundraising - we live in a world where bake sales don't cut it anymore, sadly!

I still have my poster from Another Mother for Peace (old US group) that shows children on some playground equipment, and it reads "It'll be a great day when the Army has to hold a bake sale and the day care centers have all the money they need." on my office wall. I am too old to have been involved with them but my grandother was a founding member of the Voice of Women - peace org in Canada and I recall attending mtgs as a child- about nuclear disarmanet and so forth.

Anyway - sorry to go offtrack for a bit. My point is anyone involved in rescue or any non profit has to be skilled in ways if "Development" as our univ calls it these days. The tax laws alone change every year and just IDing corporate groups that might donate to save themelsves tax money and do some good - some match employee contributions. It is a whole area in and of itsefl!!