View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Is it time for a Dog Food Change?

A while back when we got Sprocket from the SPCA, he came to us eating Purina and we quickly changed him over to Nutro (can't remember which one now). After doing research and not being extremely happy with Nutro, we put him on Wellness Puppy Super5Mix shortly after being on Wellness he had very soft stool and it was starting to concern me, and I didn't want to switch him onto something else when we just put him on Wellness. I mentioned my concern's here and a few of you suggested adding pumpkin paste to Sprockets food and it worked beautifully. It's been quite a few month now, and we still add a small spoon of pumpkin to Sprockets food because he's a pumpkin addict now and I figure a spoonfull can't hurt. Anyhow my husband mentioned the other day that even though the pumpkin seemed to help, his stool is still on the soft side but formed. To add to all that, the scare with Menu Foods is giving me that extra boost to get off my butt and find another food, although I would have had to change him off of Wellness in the end regardless of the recall.

After talking with a few people here and there, they've mentioned that with some dogs, Wellness is known for soft stool, and you just have to change them over whether you like it or not.

I called one of the local pet stores and asked about pricing and products, and was told they carry Solid Gold, Go Natural and Sigma 7(?!?) I'm going to run there after work and pick up som sample packages and see if any appeal more to Sprocket than others. In the meantime, what would you rank as the better of the above foods?

I'm hoping that whatever we switch Sprocket to, will be the last food, with the exception of weaning him onto adult food eventually...he's 6.5 mo's now.

Thanks for your help.

Dianne

Last edited by Tazette; March 27th, 2007 at 04:44 PM.