View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Swift Tribe

not to sound fatalistic here but really dry is not an option unless you want to sacrifice other health down the road. quite a few people find switchiing foods for 'picky' cats is impossible unless you understand how cats define food... which is way different than people do!!! sugarcatmom, do you remember that article that talked about cats noses and smells and how they all connected to make sure cats didnt eat foods that would make them sick and thats why they stick to foods they 'know' by smell?? it was posted a few months ago.

anyway, im pretty convinced that the way to transition a cat is by making the new food available RIGHT NEXT TO the old food. probably pretty wasteful but introducing the SMELL first, IMO is vital. we are currently working on small prey. Baby Girl ate half of the new stuff but no one else touched it. i will be making it available next to their current food for at least a month before i give up. the first night the declined dinner (seriously!!) because it was NEAR their food. the second night they are around it. 3rd night Baby Girl ate half and then the regular stuff. tomorrow will be a break and we will resume on night 5.

quite a few people ahve had success with this method. we have had more peaceful success with this where as coating the new stuff with the old stuff, hiding it in stuff they like more felt very 'brute force' to me. there was a great deal of resentment from my cats.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)