View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Visiting a frozen Lake Louise, Alberta

Carol and I visited Lake Louise today . . . . . .

Below, a leaping cougar depiction was one of the winners in an ice sculpting competition, the camera placing the leap against Victoria Glacier in the background

Below, children run across the frozen lake. For those unfamiliar, Lake Louise is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Way up at the end of the lake, there is a trail which forges to a tea house high up in the background, a popular trail in the summer. Further on, one can climb up on the right and then traverse the glacier if properly equipped.

Below, Carol heads for the ice castle sculpture in the middle of a skating area cleared on the lake . . . . . . over Carol's head, up in the hills in the background, is the Lake Agnes teahouse, another popular hike in the summer. The ice here sinks in late May. There is still snow on the trails mentioned into mid-June.

Bonus coverage, near my home, winter can be beautiful . . . . . but by mid-February, the novelty is starting to wear off. An early morning fenceline. In southwestern Alberta, it's more common to see snow/brown/snow/brown, etc as Chinooks blow in with warmer weather. But the snowpack in our local area this year, according to one councilman in our local paper last week, has been the longest lasting since the 1970's. We're having a big melt right now but it's still pretty deep in a lot of places.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca