View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Swift Tribe

personally, id get some books, read up on where you want to go and then give it a shot. i started out on a homemade diet and eventually went to a raw one supplemented with a few non meat meals. its been very very trial and error and LOTS AND LOTS of poop patrol.

the internet has loads of information but i havent found a complete single source for information on things like WHY you dont waant to go over board on raw eggs but sooft boiled are great, eggs are the basis for all other proteins to be graded on, GREEN tripe can not be sold with human grade food and human grade tripe is all but useless... the kind of ratio of phospherous to calcium you want... clam(or was it oysters??) contains loads of taurine... i just started out googling things like 'homemade pet food' and BARF/raw stuff. if you browse the Raw/BARF forum here you will find several great external pages within the first page of threads.

my opinion on homemade versus raw??(glad ya asked!!! ) i think both are great but i will say that i noticed the biggest change after making the leap to raw. ill swear by it any day!! while our pooch didnt have much of a energy/coat/teeth change after starting him on raw(he is still a puppy and we started him young) but our cats (at 3yo each) have made a remarkable change. id say that whatever you decide, meat should be raw. it really made THAT much of a difference!

i hope you enjoy this journey as much as your furbabies will!! cause i promise you, they will throughly enjoy their new diet!! seeing Mister lovingly 'groom' a whole chicken into his tummy is just too funny and to see our little house cats rip apart a hunk of meat, chew up bones and all is quite rewarding. i cant even go into the kitchen without getting bombarded anymore.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)