View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM
Kitty Consort

Yes to all of the above - bathing a matted cat is a disaster - makes it MUCH worse. :sad:
I too would reccomend a professional at this point..I dont think you will be able to successfully get rid of these matts yourself.
A word of caution too.... its VERY easy to cut them... their skin is paper-thin.(been there,done that.) If you do attempt yourself.. make sure you keep your fingers between the skin and the fur. A matt too close to the skin simply cannot be cut out... its impossible. Shaving is the only answer.

Not sure how long the fur is on your kitty, but my persians both require daily combings..and in just one week can become a matted mess.( found this out on holiday once)

Once you get the problem fixed, regular combing at least a few times a week with a wide-toothed METAL comb should avoid a repeat.
If small matts appear.. try pulling them apart gently with yours fingers...then combing though.

The secret with all long haired matting type fur is to "nip in the bud".
If it gets past "the point of no return" the cat will be feeliing uncomfortable and miserable, possibly even in pain.

Good luck with this!