View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:40 AM
Senior Contributor

As we all know, titers being low does not mean that the dog is not protected, since the memory cells are very likely still trained. And in a dog that just received vaccinations 2 years ago, and just battled a near death battle and will be suffering chronic disease from this, this is not about expense, this about protecting the health of the immune system. And I certainly wouldn't base these decisions on the experience of one dog, when, on the health forums, we haven't seen such a trend.

I would like to see some substantiation that these diseases are making a comback. In the last 3 years, the only cases of distemper that I have seen were in recently vaccinated dogs, and one unvaxed dog in India. Of course that's a small sample that I see, but I've seen no reference to a distemper comeback in dogs following the three year protocol. As for parvo, there is the new strain of parvo which no vaccine is licensed to protect from, though anecdotally one vax is thought to be better than the other.

Certainly she can titer, and if the titers are low, I still say that this spring is too early for any vaccine with what Timber has gone through. The rabies, well, that's another legal story. I can only say I've seen dogs flair with disease after their rabies vax. I had an expemption for my girl the last 12 years of her life.