View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:39 PM

thanks for the feeback/suggestions!

we have 3 cats so i'd have to quarantine them to get an accurate fluid intake measurement.

max has been on the lethargic side even before his numbers were elevated. he did seem more a little more alert after his dental which included IV fluids.

to me, the pinch test seems to indicate both are fairly well hydrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Can you pour a measured amount in the water bowls, write it down, then re-measure after 24 hrs, write that down. I would do this once a week for a few weeks to get a clear view how much they are drinking.

If the cat is showing consistant signs of dehydration ie: pinch test, drinking more, feeling grouchy/not themselves.

Some vets will wait until there is 2-3 tests (showing consistant numbers) with the cre between 3.5-4. Many will base the decision of when to start on a combination of the numbers & physically how the cat feels.

Have a chat w/the vet see what their opinion is on how both Rachel & Max are dealing with hydration, if there are any personality changes (more grumpy than usual, not sitting in a favorite place/interacting as much w/you or each other anymore etc) and see when they have recommended starting fluids for other CRF clients.
max has been gradually losing weight for the past 3 years. he is down to 12# from 16#. he eats well if it's a food he likes. he is on both (non-CRF) canned and dry food. he loves raw turkey and liv a littles dehydrated chicken treats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
One of my vet's guidelines is to consider fluids if the cat starts losing weight (which can indicate dehydration and loss of appetite).