View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Albert's mommy

Update- with Pics

Thank you all again for the kind words! We picked him up Tuesday night and he was very groggy from the pain meds..he could barely sit up. When they first brought him to me I'll admit it hit me hard..and I cried, but I was also happy that it was all done. He did well at home, his personality was showing immediately..he was 'fighting' the drugs and kept trying to stay awake.aware of our every move. We tried to not move too much, kept the lights low...just tried to keep the environment as calm and quiet as possible. While we ate dinner he begged.. (yup, now we get a one-eyed sad puppy begging face..still quite irresistible!! ) He couldn't stand up much and with all the fluids he needed to pee a lot. We tried to walk him but I ended up just putting some towels and puppy pads and blankets down. He did have a few accidents but it was ok. Through the haze could feel that he was wet so he was very annoyed ..All in all..he was coming back around. By 2 AM that night he was wimpering to be let out. We let him out and although he couldn't kick up his leg..he squatted down and peed away. That was my final sigh of relief..and I knew my dog was back. Such a good boy, already asking to go out. He's on pain meds and antibiotics..and still adjusting to one eye. He isn't eating too much..but he does take treats and the liverwurst I hide his pills in. Last night I heated up his food and fed him from my hand. I think his perception may be off, if I bring the plate up to his mouth he eats a bit or from my hand. So we'll work on that these next few days, no biggie. His food is home made, and mushy anyway..chicken/eggs/veggies..so it's easy on his teeth. The fact that he'll take the other snacks lets me know he's ok too. I've attached some pics. His little sister has been very worried, and although he isn't very fond of her most of the time, she was very gentle and he let her clean him for a while last night and they snuggled for hours.

They shaved the area, so once the hair grows back it will just look like his eyelid is closed. He still looks beautiful and I just LOVE that this is all behind us and we can move on. He also hasn't paid any attention to the wound, so no need for the e-collar thankfully. Again, THANK YOU for all the positive messages..this was quite an experience, but as always Albert teaches us how to be strong, and he is so much braver than we could ever be!

Growler--yes you are right hypertension can be common in CRF patients, i have him checked every 3 months for it..and his blood pressure has been normal. We can't find what caused the original inflammation, which very quickly led to glaucoma. We tested for fungus, tick bites, full blood panels to test for cancers, ulcers, etc. They are going to do a pathology on the eye that may tell us more..but it may just be (at least hopefully) the eye attacked itself and now that it's gone we are ok. His glaucoma was considered secondary because of the eye issues before hand. But yes it may have been hereditary..who knows with these 'second-hand' doggies! Regardless, I am grateful that he pulled through so well and we are home safe and sound. Thanks!
Attached Images