View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:35 AM
-

I hesitate to post this because it sounds sooooo scary. I found this on Dog Info - hopefully someone with a dog who has had a singlenosebleed like yours will respond. Please bear in mind that the vet is answering a question regarding a dog who has ALOT of nosebleeds.

"Nosebleeds can occur for a lot of reasons. In older dogs a major concern would be nasal tumors or nasal infections. Tumors can be pretty hard to find even with endoscopy and X-rays in some cases but the tests for this make it less likely. In any age dog bleeding disorders need to be considered when nosebleeds occur. Ehrlichia canis, immune mediated thrombocytopenia, immune mediated hemolytic anemia and other causes of bleeding should all be considered. In older dogs a fairly common cause of bleeding disorders is hemangiosarcoma, a type of tumor. Heartworms can cause nosebleeds in the later stages of the disease. Sorting through all these possibilities will require
additional testing. It can be difficult and take several tries to identify the cause of bleeding disorders. Mike Richards, DVM "

Like I said - pretty scary. None of my dogs have had a nosebleed but, I imagine if one of them conked their nose hard on something... or perhaps it could happen if the house was extremely dry - but, then wouldn't you notice your pups' nostrils being very dry and increased drinking? Hopefully it will be a one-time thing but, I would definitely head to the Vet if it happened again.