View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Umm, no, sorry, it doesn't help me. It doesn't say how often to feed that amount. Once a week? 3% of my six month old puppy's body weight would be 1.26 pounds. Can you provide your source for that information? And, I fed cooked liver, not raw. What's the difference?
What want4rain was saying was that if you were feeding a raw diet the daily portion of food would be 1.5-3% of your dog's body weight (1.26lbs). 5% of that (28.57g) would be the appropriate amount of liver to include in the diet. Obviously that is fresh and uncooked, so once you dry it out the weight would be far less as the water has been removed.

The "source" for these proportions is the typical/approximate makeup of a whole animal that a dog would eat.

Benny Bully's liver treats (it's just dehydrated liver), as an example, indicates to feed 1-2 treats per day. Each square is about 1-1.5 inch x 1-1.5 inch.

Honestly, I wouldn't freak out about it, I would just not feed 1/2 cup of the treats everyday. I use liver treats from training, but I break them up into pieces the size of tiny peas, so we go through a very small quantity.