View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi tbcookie, welcome to pets.ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcookie View Post
I have been giving my cat, General, Metronidazole in liquid form since Tuesday.
Why is he on metronidazole?

Quote:
Anyway, yesterday, I'm quite sure General inhaled some of the medicine when he was struggling. He coughed a few times and gagged a little.
It's possible he inhaled a bit, or it could also partly be a reaction to the terrible taste of Flagyl.

Quote:
I have always given liquid medication to my cats by opening their mouths and by squirting the medicine toward the back to of throat.
Here is a good video by Cornell University on the best way to administer liquid meds. As I'm sure you've now realized, you don't want to aim straight down the back of the throat, but rather at the pouch between the teeth and cheeks, or else across the tongue at an angle.

http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pe...id_medications

Quote:
I just didn't feel comfortable about this because these things seemed to coincide with General seeming to have inhaled some of his medicine. I also notice that General's demeanor seems different overall. He's just not his usual self.
Is he eating and drinking okay? Sometimes antibiotics can make cats feel nauseous. It might be better tolerated if given with food, if you aren't already.

Quote:
I don't want the vet to feel like I'm hounding them, but the truth is that I'm terrified that by my administering the medication incorrectly, General may be at risk of developing a potentially life-threatening illness
I wouldn't worry about hounding the vet, they are supposed to be there to help you, the client. To ease your mind, maybe you can take him in and have the vet listen to his lungs with a stethoscope. Here is a list of some symptoms of aspiration pneumonia: http://www.petplace.com/cats/aspirat...ats/page1.aspx

Quote:
What to Watch For

Coughing
Respiratory distress, with rapid breathing and a high heart rate
Cyanosis (blue color to the mucus membranes)
Exercise intolerance, weakness
Nasal discharge
Fever
Depression
Loss of appetite
Good luck! I hope General is feeling better soon.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler